Low Carb Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
Who loves (and misses) a good cheeseburger? Before keto, there was nothing better than a nice, juicy burger on a carby bun (with fries)! But living in this post-carb world we’ve eliminated bread from our diet, so now what? Make a casserole to as a delicious, easy alternative to your burger cravings! Try this recipe for a complete one-dish meal to feed your entire family tonight (with leftovers!)
This recipe calls for quite a few ingredients, but don’t let that overwhelm you. The filling (and sauce) comes together quickly and is very easy to make.
The filling for this casserole is flexible and easily customizable. You can add or remove any recipe element to suite your taste buds. I like peppers, onions and garlic, so that’s what I used. Fresh green pepper and onions, along with minced garlic (from a jar). Sometimes I add pickled jalapenos and relish to spice it up.
You can eliminate the onions by using onion powder (see recipe notes below). Additionally, be mindful of type of relish you use – be certain it’s unsweetened.
For the bacon and cheese, add this after you’ve cooked the meat thoroughly and drained it.
So like I mentioned in the opening content, I really enjoyed burgers with a nice, white bun. Is this recipe an exact substitute for a bun? Certainly not. What this recipe is, however, is a very satisfying alternative.
The topping I developed for this recipe went through a few different variations, each with different amounts of eggs, xantham gum, tomato paste, heavy cream and water. The final recipe result I went with creates a firm yet spongy top layer on top of the beef and veggie mixture, somewhat mimicking the texture of a bun from a juicy burger.
Follow The Recipe!
I do not recommend making and changes to the topping portion of this recipe – please follow exactly.
Generally I like to use free range eggs and organic grass fed beef. HOWEVER, this is not always possible due to budget and scheduling constraints (we’re all busy!). For this recipe I used organic eggs, traditionally farmed beef, and traditionally grown vegetables.
What Condiments To Use?
Honestly, this recipe is awesome by itself and can eaten without any additional condiments. But sometimes I like to use my favorite sugar free ketchup, a little mustard and tablespoon of mayo – this makes your slice of casserole the ultimate cheeseburger experience!
Nutrition Per Serving
Net Carbs: 6g
Notes: reduce carbs by cutting (or eliminating) the amount of onions and peppers used in this recipe
Low Sugar Ketchup
Avocado Oil Mayo
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join our email list to receive:
- The latest keto recipes
- Keto diet tips
- Keto product reviews
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped white onion if not using onion powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened relish optional
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapenos optional
- 1 teaspoon onion powder if not using fresh onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic from jar
- 3/4 cup precooked bacon crumbles
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons xantham gum
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Brown beef until about half cooked, add in garlic, onions and peppers; add OPTIONAL relish and or jalapenos; continue cooking until browned
- Drain excess fat from pan; combine bacon and cheddar cheese with beef and veggie mixture; stir thoroughly in pan
- Coat 11x15 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray; spread beef and veggie mixture in dish
- Combine eggs and xantham gum in mixing bowl; mix using either a whisk or hand mixer (hand mixer generally works better when cooking with xantham gum)
- Add tomato paste, heavy cream, spices and water into mix; continue stirring with spatula or hand mixer to combine
- Add in bacon and cheese; stir until evenly combined
- Top your beef and veggie mixture with sauce
- 400°F for 20-30 minutes; until top layer has a nice crispy crust appearance
- Top with your favorite low sugar ketchup or side of mayo
Our ultimate bacon cheeseburger casserole is the perfect dish for your whole family (with leftovers!)